Membership is comprised of community residents and stakeholders from the Point Douglas area. FACT encourages a broad based membership and will make reasonable efforts to ensure members of various religious, ethnic, cultural, social and generational specific groups are involved and active members in FACT. FACT engages a variety of community partners, including:
- Parents and community members
- School Divisions
- Regional Health Authorities
- Child Care Community
- Healthy Child Manitoba Partner Departments
- Friendship Centers
- Child and Family Services
- Aboriginal peoples and organizations
- Newcomer, refugee and immigrant peoples and organizations
- Police services
- Children’s advocates
- Business or civic leaders
- Cultural and/or faith-based organizations
- Local political leaders and others
General Membership: Is comprised of the Community Stakeholders and Residents, meetings may be 4 times per year or as decided by the Executive Committee.
The Executive Committee: Is comprised of five members who are elected at the Annual General Meeting held once per year. The Executive Committee will meet 7 times per year or at the Call of the Chair. The Executive Committee is the final decision making body. A quorum is necessary for decision making items and is 50% plus one of the elected or appointed Executive Committee.
Members of the Executive Committee should not miss more than 4 meetings per year and not more than two consecutive meetings per calendar year.
Should any member of the Executive Committee miss more than 4 meetings per year or more than two consecutive meetings, without regrets and reason, that member shall no longer be considered a member of the Executive Committee. An interim member may be approved by the Executive Committee to serve as a replacement until the next AGM.
Executive Committee Positions will be for a period of two years unless decided by the Executive Committee, Executive Committee Positions are:
- Past Chair
- Vice Chair
Members at Large: Four “Members at Large” may also be elected from the General Membership or The Executive Committee may appoint Members at Large from functioning Committees of FACT. One Member at Large will be from Mt Carmel Clinic as per the Healthy Child Manitoba Terms of Reference. Members at large will be appointed for a two-year term unless otherwise decided by the Executive Committee.
Committees: Committees of FACT shall be appointed as either ad hoc or standing and all members of committees must abide the Terms of Reference and Policies of FACT. Committee members may be appointed ad Members at Large. Terms for Committees and Committee members will be seceded by the Executive Committee. Committees will elect a chair to call meeting and ensure meeting notes are taken and collected at the FACT office. All Committees will prepare a report for the Executive Committee Meetings; all decisions of FACT Committees will be brought to the Executive Committee for review and final approval.
Banker: Mount Carmel Clinic is the identified Banker at this time and is charge with the duties as outlined by “Healthy Child Manitoba’s Parent Child Coalitions Program and Funding Guide”. The Banker provides monthly statements to the identified employee of the Coalition, and will receive from FACT an updated Terms of Reference, Minutes of Executive meetings, cheque requisitions and notification of signing officers of FACT.
- Terms for FACT Executive Committee and Members at Large will be staggered whenever possible by adjusting term length of the position before the AGM.
- All elected and appointed representatives of FACT shall have voting privileges.
- The Chair of FACT will vote only if required for tie breaking.
- A quorum is 50% plus one for all decision making items for Executive Committee Meetings and Membership Meetings. A quorum at the AGM is 50% plus one of registered Voting Delegates present.
- Every effort will be made to ensure that recommendations presented by working committees are respected. Executive Committee decisions will be by consensus, whenever consensus cannot be reached a majority vote of 50% plus one will rule.
- All Executive Committee Members, Members at Large and Committee members of FACT are charged with a duty to represent and share information of a non-confidential nature, with the community at large and to bring forward ideas and requests from the community to FACT.
- The Executive Committee shall be the final decision making body. Every effort will be made to ensure that recommendations presented by working committees are respected.
- The Executive Committee must approve all Expenses of Committees in advance.
- All meetings of FACT shall have an agenda and meeting minutes or notes to record the action items, and shall be taken and held at the FACT office.
Annual General Meeting (AGM): The AGM will be held once per year by the Executive Committee. The Executive Committee will determine the date, time and location. The Executive Committee must provide a minimum of four weeks’ notice to the membership.
The AGM will be conducted so that the Executive Committee can provide the membership with an annual report, outlining the previous year’s activities. The AGM is the opportunity for the membership to duly elect the Executive Committee of FACT and to review the work plan as developed at the Strategic Planning sessions and Membership Meetings during the past year.
Annual General Meeting Voting Delegates: In order to vote at the AGM, individuals must actively participate in the work of FACT and attend meetings on a regular basis. Only those who have attended a minimum of three General Membership Meetings in the proceeding calendar year will have voting privileges at the AGM.
Delegates that receive “Voting Status” will be considered “FACT Voting Delegates”, and will have registered their intentions to vote during a regular scheduled “FACT General Membership Meeting”. If qualified “FACT Voting Delegates” may choose to have their names registered to vote at the AGM. Votes are restricted to one per organization or agency.
A copy of the “FACT Voting Delegates” will be included in the Executive Committee Meeting Minutes and all Voting Delegates will receive a voter’s card upon registration at the AGM.
Funding and Reporting: Parent Child Coalitions of Manitoba are funded through Healthy Child Manitoba (HCMO). FACT (Families and Communities Together) represents Point Douglas/North End of Winnipeg and follows the Parent Child Coalition Program and Funding Criteria, which states:
- To receive annual funding support, Parent Child Coalitions will:
- Reflect the vision, mission and guiding principles of Healthy Child Manitoba
- Demonstrate a focus on positive parenting, nutrition and physical health, learning and literacy and capacity building
- Develop Terms of Reference
- Ensure the funding to outside organizations is provided to non-profit, incorporated organizations
- Ensure that all funded organizations meet the program guidelines as outlined by HCMO
- Involve community residents and stakeholders in the planning and implementation of the programs
- Demonstrate the existence of community capacity to support the program
- Agree to participate in a common evaluation framework and share learning
- Submit an annual Status and Activity Report outlining their previous years’ activities and their plans for the coming year”
Fiscal Year: The fiscal year for FACT is from April 01st until March 31st of the following year.
Reporting: FACT will follow all reporting guidelines as outlined in the Healthy Child Manitoba Terms of Reference.
- The Executive Committee will determine the Executive Committee Meeting Schedule.
- Agenda material will be circulated electronically to the members at least five working days in advance of the meetings
- Members participating via teleconference shall be deemed present at meetings and decisions made through Electronic Meetings via email will be ratified at the next regular scheduled Executive Meeting.
- It is expected that a consensus-based approach will be used. In the event a vote is necessary, a simple majority (50% of voting members plus one) shall constitute a majority.
- The secretary will take meeting minutes at all Executive Meetings and the Coordinator will distribute draft minutes to Executive Committee 5 days after the meeting for review and comment. All meeting minutes will be held at the FACT office.
- Notes and key messages will be made of all General Membership Meetings and kept at the FACT Office.
Accountability: The Executive Committee is ultimately responsible for FACT and must ensure all guidelines as outlined by Healthy Child Manitoba and those detailed in the FACT Organizational Manual are followed.
Administration: The Executive Committee is responsible to hire a Coordinator who will manage the operations of FACT and ensure the Terms of Reference and operating procedures as outlined in the Organizational Manual are followed.
Review of Terms of Reference: “The FACT Terms of Reference” will be reviewed every two years; all changes to the Terms of Reference must be made at the Executive Committee Level.
Review of Organizational Manual: The Executive Committee should review “The Organizational Manual of FACT” every two years to ensure that it is up to date and relevant. The Executive Committee must make changes to the Operating Manual of FACT.
Communications: All communications and media inquiries regarding FACT will be made to the Chair or the Coordinator.